Welcome to seventh grade math!
Sixth grade math students focus on five critical areas in mathematics:
- developing understanding of and applying proportional relationships;
- developing understanding of operations with rational numbers;
- working with expressions and linear equations;
- solving problems involving scale drawings and working with two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems involving area, surface area, and volume; and
- drawing inferences about populations based on samples.
We will be using a resource from Open Up Resources as a basis for our math study this year.
The student link allows students to find lessons electronically and the parent link provides some background information about the concepts we are learning.
Homework and Classwork
We will be utilizing a modified flipped classroom model in math class this year. All students will watch videos and complete notes prior to the actual lesson. Students who are attending class in person will work on the homework part of the lesson in class. Remote learning students will complete both parts at home. This will be a learning experience for all of us. Students will need to make the extra effort to advocate for themselves if they are not understanding the math concept or need help with a question. Please reach out to me when you need help with the math.
Students will be given a completion grade for lesson notes. Homework assignments will be graded on a five-point rubric found here.
Test and quiz grades will be based on the total number of points possible on each.
I am looking forward to working with you this year!