EES Safety Protocols
Dear Elementary Parents and Guardians,
The majority of our communication with families tonight will be based around safety procedures put into place.
Students coming into the building:
- Bus Riders: Students riding the bus will have their temperature taken before getting on the bus. Students will enter the building in the back, by the playground, as they have in the past. This will be done in a staggered approach to address social distancing. Once in the building, students in either second grade, fifth grade, and some of the fourth grade (Murphy, Chesnut, Letellier) will go through the cafeteria to get to their pod. All others will go straight down the hall to their pod. Students will go directly into their classroom. Once in the pod, a staff member will ask students if they are going to have breakfast. If they are, they will be given breakfast and take it into their classroom to eat.
- Car Riders: Since the plan is to start school in the green phase, students will enter the building in the front on either the east or west side. The drop off for students can begin at 7:40. We ask that students not get out of their vehicle until asked to do so in order to maintain social distancing. Before students enter the building, temperatures will be taken by a staff member. Additionally, the staff member will ask the person dropping the student off, as well as the students, if the student has any related symptoms. Students must have their mask on before entering the building. Once in the building, students will report directly to their classroom. As the student enters their pod, a staff member will ask the student if they are having a school breakfast. If they are, they will be given breakfast to take into the classroom to eat.
- Walkers: Students walking to school will enter the building in the back, by the playground, as they have done in the past. Students can come into the building at 7:40. Before entering the building, students will have their temperature taken. Once in the building, students in either second grade, fifth grade, and some of the fourth grade (Murphy, Chesnut, Letellier) will go through the cafeteria to get to their pod. All others will go straight down the hall to their pod. Students will go directly into their classroom. Once in the pod, a staff member will ask students if they are going to have breakfast. If they are, they will be given breakfast and take it into their classroom to eat.
Parents and other adults coming into the building:
- Parents who have a scheduled meeting with a staff member or have other pertinent business that must be handled in person will report to the office.
- Due to the fact that we are making a conscious effort to adhere to safety recommendations by the county health department, parents and visitors will not be allowed in the building beyond the office.
- These procedures will be put in place starting on Thursday, September 3rd and will be utilized through all phases.
- Designated locations have been created on the playground for individual classes to hold their recess. Each class must stay in their location for the duration of recess.
- Grade level teachers will create their rotation to these locations.
- Students may remove their masks during recess if they can maintain at least 10 ft. of distance from any other students while outside.
- All specials classes (art, computers, PE, library, music) will take place in the student’s core classroom with the exception of PE.
- PE will be held in the gym since there is room to maintain social distance.
- Lunch will occur in each student’s classroom.
- A group of lunch supervisors will deliver lunch to the room.
- Students will remove their mask to eat, while maintaining as much distance as possible by staying at their desk.
- The lunch supervisor will ensure all trash is removed and masks are worn once a student finishes eating.
- Each grade level pod has a handwashing rotation that will occur every hour on the hour. Some hours will be a trip to the restroom to wash hands, while others may include the use of hand sanitizer.
- Masks must be worn at all times while in the building.
- Teachers may take students outside to designated areas for mask breaks during the day. Students must maintain at least 10 ft. of distance between each other outside to remove their masks.
- Water fountains will be covered and turned off due to recommendations by the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department.
- We are encouraging all students to bring a water bottle labeled with their name.
- Touchless bottle fill stations will be located throughout the building so students can fill their bottles during the day.
- Water bottles will be sent home at the end of each day for cleaning.
- Please make sure that the water bottle you send with your student has a no-spill lid/top.
- Bus Riders: Students who ride a bus will be dismissed first and follow the district shuttle and rural routes schedules.
- Car Riders: Students will be dismissed next with family numbers being communicated in the building in order of the placard numbers seen in the car line. Staff will have cars pull up to numbered cones and wait until students walk up to the car. This process will only be in the west side front loop of EES. If placards are not displayed, drivers will be asked to park until family is identified and then their students will be called to come out. As before, drivers and family members need to remain in their cars. Placards were mailed out to families yesterday.
- Walkers: Walkers will leave the building through the back recess doors as in the past and use the sidewalks to proceed to the nearby neighborhoods.
- Once teachers reach out with their virtual meet the teacher presentation, please respond with your child’s mode of transportation for the first half day of school and for their normal transportation plan thereafter.
- The district will be communicating adjustments made to the district's bus shuttle schedule to families tomorrow evening.